Monday, July 7, 2014

Renderman!

The wonderful people over at Pixar have been kind enough to provide me with a temporary Renderman Studio 18 license for evaluation purposes, yay! Up to this point I have been using 3Delight, which is based on the Renderman rendering algorithm, and provides a free license - but is not used in the industry nearly as much as Pixar's Renderman. I got excited when I saw Pixar would be releasing a free non-commercial license of 19, but then I realized it won't be released until mid-August, much too late for my purposes. But it gave me the idea to reach out to Pixar and see if they would let me have a free license of 18 to test until 19 is released, since it's really not worth it to pay over $200 for a license I'd only use for a month. The good news is since 3Delight is so similar to Renderman, it shouldn't take too much work to switch over my test scenes, and ultimately I think I'll be much happier with my final comparison.

Thank you Pixar! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment